3 Ways to Reduce Toxins in Your Home When Preparing for Spring

If you’re preparing for Spring, start with the focusing on the toxins you bring in your home. More often than not, your home could contain toxic products or environmental toxins that you might not be immediately aware of. If left undetected overtime, these toxins could lead to chronic health implications and impact your day to day life.

Lucky for you, I’ve got the perfect, fool-proof guide to help you ensure a toxin-free environment. Here are my top 3 ways to reduce toxins when preparing for Spring.

Keep track of what you’re tracking in.

Did you know that the US uses 18,000 pesticides and sprays 4.5 billion pounds of pesticides per year? Even worse, only 1% of these pesticides effectively target pests, which leaves 99% of pesticides completely unaccounted for. Where does that 99% go? Chances are, you could be tracking some of it in your own home with your shoes.

And it’s not just pesticides; other common contaminants include petroleum products, radon, asbestos, lead, chromated copper arsenate, creosote, and even animal feces. The easiest way to avoid these toxins? Take your shoes off before you get through the door! It will not only avoid the likelihood of tracking in toxins, but it will also mean less cleaning for you.

Go organic, green, and sustainable.

It hurts to say, but so many toxins are found in the very products we choose to consume. Now more than ever, it’s so important to consume clean, organic, and toxin-free foods and products. Here’s what you should look out for:

  • Do not consume non-organic produce, meat, or dairy products; these foods are often contaminated by synthetic fertilizers, sewage sludge, irradiation, genetic engineering, pesticides, or drugs.
  • Make sure your canned foods are marked “BPA-free”. BPA is a toxin that interferes with your body’s natural hormone production and may increase your risk of certain cancers if chronically ingested.
  • Avoid plastic containers and opt for glass instead; it’s free of toxins and much more sustainable.
  • Stop using scented air fresheners, candles, detergents, soaps, and deodorants; these often contain pollutants like formaldehyde, acetaldehyde, acetone, picric acid, and methyl vinyl ketone.
  • Choose organic cleaning products to help you avoid ingesting or inhaling harsh chemicals commonly found in most cleaning products.

Filter your water.

Last but not least, never ingest water that hasn’t been filtered! While the Environmental Protection Agency regulates tap water with legal limits and parameters for certain toxins, some of these legal limits are not strong enough. By using a water filter, you can further reduce potential pollutants like lead, pesticide runoff, chlorine, radon, arsenic, and so much more.

More importantly, make sure to replace these filters regularly. Whether it’s for your drinking water, shower or whole house filter, a quality filter always helps to prevent those toxins from entering your home and body.

Preparing for Spring – The Takeaway

Even though it can seem daunting in the beginning, a toxin-free environment is less about cleaning, and more about creating healthy habits. The more we can target and remove the toxins in our homes, the more we can ensure a good quality of life while enjoying the fresh and clean atmosphere that Spring brings every year. If you implement just these 3 habits to start preparing for Spring, then Spring cleaning will be an absolute breeze, and the toxins in your home will definitely start to diminish.

I’ve got so many more detoxing habits to share, along with delicious recipes and go-to green products that I trust. If you’re looking to seriously detox your body and environment, I’d love to be your coach. Book a free consultation with me here!  

Anna Marie